Personal care can and has helped countless seniors all over America. If you are a senior, nearing your senior years, or have an elderly loved one, here are some common senior personal care services you should know about.
What Is Personal Care?
Personal care is form of senior care. It is also available to younger people who live with disabilities. Personal care helps people physically; it helps people take care of themselves. It helps people with the Activities of Daily Living.
What Are The Activities Of Daily Living?
The “Activities of Daily Living” is a term that we at Executive Care use to describe everyday tasks of self-care which we all must do. We all must get out of bed in the morning and back in at night. We all have to use the toilet, shower, move around, eat, and more. For most of us, these activities are no trouble at all. However, if these tasks are difficult to perform, then life becomes exceedingly difficult. That’s why many seniors need personal care services to live healthy, safe, and enjoyable lives.
What Are Some Common Senior Personal Care Services?
Senior personal care services can include:
- Assisting with eating. Some seniors have trouble eating because of denture/dental problems. Seniors with dementia or other neurodegenerative or mental health problems can simply forget to eat. Other seniors don’t eat healthy when left on their own.
- Assisting with bathing. Bathtubs and showers can be dangerous places for seniors. Some need help using bath equipment.
- Dental and denture care.
- Assisting with hair brushing and general hair care.
- Assisting with bowel regularity.
- Reminding seniors to take medication at specific times.
- Basic skin care, including nail maintenance.
- Assistance with emptying and changing external urinary collecting devices, including catheter bags.
- Providing colostomy care, including emptying ostomy bags.
- Assistance with urinals, bedpans and commodes.
- Providing bowel and bladder incontinence care
- Encouraging clients to perform normal body movements and to follow prescribed exercise programs.
- Assisting with positioning in bed, wheelchairs, and other chairs.
- Assisting with getting in and out of beds, wheelchairs, and other chairs, as well as getting on and off toilets.
Not all senior personal care services are available in all 50 states. Please talk with us to find out if the senior personal care services in which you are interested are available where you live. Senior personal care services can be provided in seniors’ own private homes; they need not move into a senior living facility in order to receive personal care. Senior personal care services are often combined with companion care and/or homemaking services.