Some seniors need personal care. The older we get, the likelier we are to see our ability to manage the activities of daily living diminish. Many seniors, of course, can manage their own lives just fine. Some need some help with chores and errands. Others might be physically fine but are emotionally and socially isolated. For each of these cases, senior care can help. But personal senior care refers to a specific category of senior care.
Personal Care for Seniors
Personal care sees caregivers help seniors with, as the term suggests, personal matters. More specifically, personal physical matters. Many seniors develop mobility issues. Walking can become difficult or even impossible. Getting in and out of wheelchairs and beds can also be a challenge. For seniors who have such troubles, living without personal care can be very dangerous. Without personal care, falls are very likely for these seniors, and these falls can be very injurious, even deadly.
In-home Personal Care
Senior care facilities such as assisted living communities and nursing homes offer personal care to their residents. But not every senior who requires personal care wants to move out of their home. Often, it is better to stay in their homes if they can. In-home personal care allows this to happen. Some might assume that because the assistance required can be intense or time consuming, that it is not offered in-home. But this is not true. Seniors can receive a whole host of personal care services in-home.
In-home Personal Care Services
Executive Home Care offers personal care to our clients, in our clients’ homes. Some of our personal care services include:
- Companionship Service and Homemaking Service
- Assisting with eating, bathing, using bath equipment, dental/denture care, grooming, and hair care
- Assisting with bowel regularity, self-administered medications, basic skin care and nail maintenance
- Emptying or changing external urinary collecting devices, including catheter bags
- Providing colostomy care and emptying ostomy bags
- Assistance with urinals, bedpans and/or commodes
- Providing bowel and bladder incontinence care
- Encouraging clients to perform normal body movements and to follow prescribed exercise programs
- Assisting with positioning in bed, wheelchair and other chairs
- Assisting with transferring to/from bed, wheelchair, toilet and chair
In-home personal care services may not be available in all states. Please talk with us to find out. All of our clients receive a customized Plan of Care that is based on the information we gather during our initial assessment. The plan of care can include as many of the above services listed as necessary.
Personal care is not administered by a doctor or registered nurse, but rather a caregiver. Caregivers (or care workers) provide the vast majority of assistance and care that seniors receive and personal care is no exception. Executive Home Care’s caregivers must all pass a comprehensive pre-screening process. This includes a criminal background check and verification that the caregiver has no communicable diseases. Furthermore, all of our caregivers are bonded and insured. Our caregivers are experienced, skills tested, and undergo continuing training and education in senior personal care.
Get in Touch
If you would like more information on personal care for seniors or if you would like to arrange personal care for a senior in your life, please contact us today.